Sunday, August 17, 2008

I don't know what to call it.. I'm really uncreatvie. Untitled: Chapter 1

Alright, so I think I’ll be continuing the ‘dream’ but it’ll be in more of a story rather than a dream. The story will start from the beginning and it will involve the two characters in my last post. However, those two characters won't be the only ones that I'll be writing about. ;) And they will actually have names. lol. xD But I really don’t know how this’ll turn out.. Becca inspired me in the comments to write this. Thanks Becca! :)


------

I drew out a heavy breath before advancing onward. Part of me didn’t want to go, but it was totally inevitable and my whole life just seemed to be leaning on this. I really didn’t like that. Yet, it seemed like my whole well being depended on this too. The crunch of the already autumn leaves on the sidewalk abruptly shattered my thoughts—my paranoid thoughts.

Walking to school was something I missed a lot. I still liked the calming serenity of the outside, even when those polluting cars passed you by and blew fumes of intoxicating smoke into your face. What ever happened to staying green? After about a block, I automatically stopped at the front of a door. A smile curled up my lips as I realized how much of a habit this had become; not even summer had broken it. It was one of the things she loved about school. In a quick motion, the door flung open and Laurel was standing at the door, pajamas still on and hair going in every direction.

“Laurel! Do you have to do this on the first day of school? We are so gon—“
“Sorry, sorry--!” She was halfway across the stairs in the middle of the second sorry. I sighed. We are going to be late. I decided to step into the living room and throw myself on the couch, fingers tapping impatiently. It was so quiet, despite the sounds of Laurel’s shuffling feet. Miraculously, the curly red head came skipping down the steps, fully dressed and hair looking nicely combed in a matter of 5 minutes.

“Just how do you manage, Laurel?” I asked as I impatiently half ran, half walked out the door.
“Years of training.” I could imagine the grin on her face as we ran all the way to school.

The usual chatter that early mornings in school always set off greeted the two of us. People just loved to talk.. or, gossip would be the correct term. But for once, I was glad to hear it; we weren’t late.

“C!” Emery’s familiar voice came floating through the hallway, her legs running fairly fast as she dodged the mob of students. It was pretty fast for a school hallway, anyways. Hmm.. she never did like to follow school policies. As she ran, I noticed that she seemed a lot more.. buff. Was skinny Emery actually working out?

“Emery!” I smiled as she attacked me with a friendly hug, her currently thick biceps crush me.
“Hmp. You forgot me, Em.” Emery giggled before launching into another deadly hug of hers at Laurel. Laurel quickly forgave Emery and asked, “Where’s Augustus?”
“I dunno.. haven’t seen him at all this morning. It’s so crowded with all these stupid freshmans.” Emery’s eyebrows furrowed together, the edge of her lips pulling down. Now why was that?
“I’m sure he’s fine; he always gets tardies, remember?” I said, my voice reassuring. I wasn’t quite sure what I was reassuring her for, but there was something wrong with her expression.

We departed once first period was about to start, still having no sign of Augustus. I walked into Calculus, my fingers clutching the textbook. I was thankful that no one stared up at me once I entered; everyone was still chatting. Heck, the teacher wasn’t even here. I rummaged for my schedule once I sat in the way back, looking for the name of the teacher. Mr. Ray was printed onto the paper. I had recalled Emery informing me about practically every single possible teacher I could get. As I tried to recall the long list of teachers, a familiar voice reached my ears.

“Hey, Cordelia!” My head shot up to see Augustus’s smiling face. His dark chocolate hair had grown over the summer just beneath his jaw line and just like Emery, he seemed to be much more muscular. But that wasn’t what had made my eyes widen; his left leg was covered in a huge cast, going from his thigh all the way to his foot.
“Augustus!” He seemed to refrain from talking to let me take it all in.
“What’d you do?!”
“Ah.. well, I learned that falling off a roof can really hurt.” I looked at him, trying to not roll my eyes at his sarcasm. My mouth opened to say more, but a man—Mr. Ray, apparently, interrupted me.

The whole class dragged on, and anxiety increased every second. I couldn’t help myself from looking at Augustus. What was up with the strange relation between Augustus and Emery? Did she know that he had so stupidly fallen off a roof? If that was true, anyways. Once the bell rang, I couldn’t believe how fast a handicapped person could run. He shot out from his seat like a bullet to his next class, and honestly, I felt offended. Crutches always seemed like such a disadvantage.. but Augustus used them to fluidly run out the door. I sighed; what was up with today?

I was relieved but also annoyed when the last bell of the day rang. How had Augustus managed to avoid me throughout the whole day? Calculus was the only class I had with him, so it was harder to track him down after that. Even during lunch, he had stayed hidden. I snorted, guessing where he hid during the whole lunch period. Laurel seemed to only be faintly concerned about Augustus, not knowing anything about his disappearance or his cast. Emery just acted oblivious whenever I had mentioned anything about him. It nearly drove me mad how everyone was acting, like the day was smoothly passing by. But the fact was that the day was NOT smoothly passing by, and it was just making me really agitated that Augustus would hid in the men’s bathroom just so he wouldn’t see me.

“C, what’s wrong?” Laurel’s concerned voice whispered as we walked our usual route home.
“What do you mean?” I asked, trying to be oblivious. She rolled her hazel eyes.
“Stupid, stop phasing out. What was I talking about approximately 10 seconds ago?” I felt my checks turn red as I stupidly guessed.
“Trying to be on time to school tomorrow?” I sheepishly grinned, hoping it would somehow smooth it out. But Laurel just groaned.
“No, I was talking about Caleb.” Laurel flatly pointed out. I could feel my insides turning into heat at his name.
“Laurel.. this is really off topic. Let’s talk about school, okay? Did you like biology?” The red headed girl really groaned this time, close to pissed.
“Oh, come on, C. Why don’t you do anything about it? You know you miss him.” I threw her an angered face. How can she keep playing with my feelings like this? This was old ‘news’ anyways. My walking pace began to quicken. She matched mine easily.
“Stop walking so fast. Listen, I saw the guy in my neighborhood the other day, the day before summer ended.” That almost made me stop right in my tracks. Why was Caleb here? I shoved the question down, trying not to think about him. I had promised myself not to hurt myself again this year. But it bothered me that Laurel was the kind to pester and I had a feeling that this wouldn’t be the end of Caleb. I just quickened my pace at an abnormally fast and long stride. The extra pair of footsteps seemed to soften and grow distant, and once I realized I had reached my house, I noticed Laurel wasn’t at my side anymore. Suddenly, I felt terrible and guilty for what I had just did and I had a strong urge to go to Laurel’s home and sort it all out. Why was I so harsh? It was just some stupid guy. My legs turned back but automatically stopped; it seemed that I was too chicken to face Laurel.

The cold fall wind howled in my face as I headed into a direction not that of my home, or Laurel’s.



-------

Ugh.. I’m tired. >.<

Also, it would be great if anyone wanted to suggest any names for this little story I've cooked up. :) Titles are not my specialty.


**POST EDIT: It seems like some of you guys are getting confused about the stories I wrote.. The first post (my dream) was really just a dream I really felt like putting down on paper.. er, on the web. This one, the actually story, will be based off my dream that I had. Things in my dream will be editied so that things will be more interesting.. >.<>

Hope this helps the confusion settle down.

6 comments:

Becca y Kelly said...

...sorry, but I like the other story better.

Lizzy said...

haha.. I liked the other story better, too.. >.< Improve, improve, improve. xD

Jenny said...

where'd you get the names?

Lizzy said...

Um.. my head? xD

Are they too unusual? D:

Michelle said...

i don't get anything.. xPPPP

Unknown said...

When r u putting bthe next chapter up. U said it was done. It would probably help straiten somethings out.